308 Properties for sale in Gers, Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
Home to breathtaking landscapes, a mild climate and picture-perfect villages, Gers is a popular choice for Brits seeking a relaxed pace of life in France. Often referred to as Gascony, the name of the former French province, the area is foremost an agricultural one, with sunflowers one of the most cultivated crops. One of the least densely populated departments in France, Gers boasts a treasure trove of delightful bastide towns such as Condom and Auch, its capital, and is just a stone's throw from the majestic peaks of the Pyrénées.
CAPITAL: AUCH - The department capital boasts the impressive Renaissance cathedral of Ste-Marie in which can be found a beautiful organ, stunning stained-glass windows and 113 carved oak stalls. The cathedral also features a statue of d'Artagnan, the famous musketeer from Gascony, written about by Alexandre Dumas.
Average property prices
Gers department: €129,200
Access from UK
By air: Toulouse
By train: Eurostar to Paris, TGV to Agen, then local trains to Auch
By road: Auch is 1,013km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Auch): 7.9ºC/18.9ºC
Average annual rainfall: 697.6mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,948.3
One of seven departments that make up the Midi-Pyrénées region, Gers screams rural idyll with its blend of rolling countryside, picture-postcard villages and hearty gastronomy. The department is musketeer country, and is filled with crumbling châteaux as well as quaint bastide towns such as Condom and Fleurance. There is also a vibrant music scene with the internationally acclaimed summer jazz festival in the village of Marciac, while the abundance of traditional markets found throughout the department will no doubt introduce visitors to some of Ger's finest produce.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France