316 Properties for sale in Tarn-et-Garonne, Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
Once a prosperous area for its woollen and silk industry, Tarn-et-Garonne is one of the smallest and youngest departments in France. It was created in 1808 by decree from Napoleon I, with land being taken from the surrounding departments of Lot, Haute-Garonne, Lotet-Garonne, Gers and Aveyron. It may be small, but it boasts an impressive variety of landscapes, from fertile plains to steep gorges, and takes its name from the two great rivers – the Tarn and Garonne – that traverse it.
CAPITAL: MONTAUBAN - Standing on the right bank of the River Tarn and just 31km from Toulouse, Montauban is one of the oldest bastides in southern France. It was originally called Mont Alba (Mount Willow in Occitan) and willow trees are still a common sight here.
Average property prices
Tarn-et-Garonne department: €148,300
Access from UK
By air: Toulouse and Rodez
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Montauban
By road: Montauban is 914km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Montauban): 8.6ºC/18.7ºC
Average annual rainfall: 711.9mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,948.3
Tarn-et-Garonne is home to three Plus Beaux Villages: Auvillar, Lauzerte and Bruniquel. The latter became famous for, and wealthy from, the production of saffron in the 14th century, which continues today. The vibrant yellow spice is the star of the show at local markets, alongside saffron-based products including jams, syrups and cakes. The department abounds in green spaces; it boasts the Causses du Quercy regional natural park along with the Gorges de l'Aveyron, known as the ‘lungs of Tarn-et-Garonne'.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France