detached village house , Orne, Normandy
Dating from 1915, this is a small, detached house on the edge of a picturesque village set in farming countryside some 20 mins from the departmental capital, Alençon, and about an hour from the channel port of Ouistreham. The house is reached via a sunny sheltered courtyard but, across the lane, there’s a secluded garden (140 sq ms) enclosed by laurel hedges. Inside, the property has been extensively modernised whilst retaining a certain period quality in décor. Bright downstairs rooms have double-glazed windows and electric shutters. Facing south, the house looks onto a second, ornamental garden while, from upstairs rooms, views extend over miles of farmland to the Forest of Perseigne on the distant horizon. There are some marvellous forest walks and other activities locally. However, improbably for such a small rural village, Essay also boasts two important motor racing circuits, one for rally-cross the other for karting, with national and international events held monthly from March to October. Situated on the edge of the Parc Régional de Normandie-Maine, characterised by rich farmland and forests, Essay also provides easy access to numerous medieval market towns such as l’Aigle, Beaumont-sur-Sarthe, Mamers and Mortagne. Better-known places such as Chartres, le Mans, the spa town of Bagnoles-de-l’Orne and the picturesque cheese and cider country of Calvados are also within comfortable reach. For 35 years until 2014 the house was rented to British families by the locally-raised French owner and her British husband. Parking is available for two cars. Easy motorway access via A28 from Caen. Baker, Grocery shop and bar, doctor, dentist and primary school in the village. All other shops and services at Sées (8 kms). Details: entrance via Conservatory (8 sq ms), Kitchen (12 sq ms), Dining room (18 sq ms), Living room (17 sq ms), 2 double bedrooms and 1 single/study, 2 bathrooms/wcs. Immersion tank for water heating and thermostatically controlled radiators in all rooms.
Most of the existing furniture in the house is available for sale by separate negotiation.
Similar Properties In This Area
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in France up to €100,000
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France up to €100,000
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France up to €100,000