10 Properties for sale in Allier, Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
The department of Allier is named after the river that runs through it and is currently in the north of the Auvergne region. The former Duchy of Bourbonnais, Allier is largely rural with mountains, farmland and forests within its borders. Historic buildings from the duchy are visible including the Château des Ducs de Bourbon in Montluçon. The department is famous for its thermal waters and has three spa towns including Vichy which was the base of the Vichy government during World War II.
CAPITAL: MOULINS - Moulins is named after the many mills that used to line the river bank in the town. It boasts a cathedral with striking stained glass windows, a bell tower called Jacquemart after the automated characters that ring the bells every hour and a museum dedicated to costumes housing collections from the National Opéra and Comédie-Française.
Average property prices
Allier department: € 95,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Clermont-Ferrand (seasonal)
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then local trains
By road: Moulins is 588km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Vichy): 6.0°C/16.7°C
Average annual rainfall: 779.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,861.7
Located at the entrance to the Massif Central, Allier has many natural highlights to discover, from the Gorges de Chouvigny to the ancient oak forest of Tronçais to the River Allier which has the reputation of being the wildest river in Europe. The department has one Plus Beau Village, the former fortified village of Charroux which is now famous for its mustard. There are a number of character villages to visit and Allier's three spa towns – Vichy, Neris-les-Bains and Bourbon l'Archambaut – as well as Montluçon and capital Moulins.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France