24 Properties for sale in Drôme, Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
The sunny department of Drôme extends east from the River Rhône to the mighty peaks of the Vercors mountain range, with the Baronnnies mountains to the south on the border with Provence. The department is characterised by fields of lavender, sunflowers and numerous vineyards, and is also dotted with an array of gorgeous villages and châteaux, all of which add to the image of rural France at its best.
CAPITAL: VALENCE - Located in the Rhône corridor, the town of Valence was founded in Roman times and became the largest crossroads of routes after Lyon. Often referred to as the gateway to the south of France, the town has a strong southern feel and boasts vestiges of architecture from a number of different historical periods.
Average property prices
Drôme department: €196 500
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Grenoble
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Valence
By road: Valence is 863km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Montélimar): 9.2ºc/18.5ºc
Average annual rainfall: 905.3mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,404.8
The most southerly department in the Rhône-Alpes region, Drôme is a beautiful mix of colour and contrasting landscapes. To the north lies the Drôme des Collines, an undulating agricultural expanse, while historic monuments dot the department's western fringes and include ancient abbeys such as Lioncel and Valcroissant. The area also encompasses the southern half of the Vercours mountain range, home to villages such as La Chapelle-en-Vercors and Vassieux-en-Vercours, where history buffs can gain insight into the Resistance fighters who operated from here.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France