3 Properties for sale in Haute-Loire, Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
Located in the south-west of the Auvergne region, Haute-Loire was created in the French Revolution from lands that fell in three separate provinces: Auvergne, the Lyonnais and the Languedoc. With a strong rural past, Haute-Loire is still known for cattle farming; around one third of its surface is forested. The traditions of rural life remain strong, from country dancing to music played on instruments such as the fife and the cornemuse, a type of bagpipe. With few large towns in the department, life is largely based around village communities.
CAPITAL: LE PUY-EN-VELAY A Ville d’Art et d’Histoire, Le Puy is best known for its religious heritage. The Romanesque Notre Dame cathedral is UNESCO listed as part of the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route, while a statue of the Virgin towers over the city on Le Rocher Corneille.
Average property prices
Haute-Loire: €110 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: There are no airports in Haute-Loire; the nearest airport is in Clermont-Ferrand in neighbouring Puy-de-Dôme
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Lyon then local services to Le Puy-en-Velay
By road: Haute-Loire is 829km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Le Puy): 3.6°C/14.1°C
Average annual rainfall: 692.0mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,909.6
Haute-Loire punches above its weight when it comes to Plus Beaux Villages; there are four in the department: Blesle, Lavaudieu, Arlempdes et Pradelles. Le Puy’s wealth of religious buildings adds to the cultural offering, as does the Benedictine Abbaye de la Chaise-Dieu. The River Loire and the Allier Gorges provide opportunities for watersports, high adventure and wildlife spotting. Music fans are well catered for too, with annual festivals including a country music event, a Celtic festival and a celebration of monastic music.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France