27 Properties for sale in Isère, Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
Nestled in the centre of the Rhône-Alpes region, Isère is best known for its winter sports, mountain passes and internationally acclaimed ski resorts. Featuring the jagged peaks of the Alps mountain range, it is little surprise that this natural wonder is what attracts so many visitors to the area, but it is worth remembering that this corner of France is home to some stunning variety, with a number of towns and villages just waiting to be discovered.
CAPITAL: GRENOBLE - The departmental capital lies to the south-east of Lyon, and with its majestic mountain backdrop and having hosted the 1968 Winter Olympics, Grenoble can be rightly crowned the ‘capital of the Alps'. The city is also an important centre for learning and scientific research with its large university, which dates back to 1339.
Average property prices
Isère department: €220 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Grenoble
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Grenoble
By road: Grenoble is 867km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Grenoble): 6.3ºc/16.2ºc
Average annual rainfall: 934.3mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,065.9
A fascinating mix of breathtaking scenery, world-renowned ski resorts and quaint Alpine villages, the department of Isère has so much to offer the many visitors that flock here. To the south-east lies the department's main ski area, with resorts such as Alpes d'Huez and Deux Alpes proving the most popular. Nearby is the breathtaking Écrins natural regional park where keen nature enthusiasts will relish the chance to explore its glaciers, while to the north-west the steep-sided valleys and gorges of the Vercors plateau offer a welcome break from the crowds in the Alps. Interesting villages are in plentiful supply here, with Cognin, Méaudre, St-André-en-Royans and Notre Dame-de-la-Sallette, famous for its pilgrimage site, all definitely worth a visit.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France