26 Properties for sale in Puy-de-Dome, Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France
Famous for the extinct volcano with which it shares its name, the Puy-de-Dôme department in Auvergne is situated in the Massif Central and boasts more than 80 volcanic craters. The 1,456m high Puy de Dôme is the highest volcano in the Châine des Puys mountain range, providing the department with a rather spectacular and eye-catching symbol. One of the most challenging climbs of the Tour de France, the top of the Puy de Dôme offers breathtaking views of 70 peaks and 11 departments.
CAPITAL: CLERMONT-FERRAND - Auvergne's capital Clermont-Ferrand stands at the heart of the Puy-de-Dôme department and is home to a Gothic cathedral and one of the finest Romanesque churches in the region, as well as being an important industrial and transport hub.
Average property prices
Puy-de-Dôme department: €160 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: London Stansted to Clermont-Ferrand
By train: Eurostar to Paris then regional services to Clermont-Ferrand
By road: Clermont-Ferrand is 711km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Clermont-Ferrand): 6.6ºC/ 16.8ºC
Average annual rainfall: 578.9mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,913.0
Combining mountains, lakes and forests with medieval villages and elegant châteaux, the department's landscape is richly diverse. Puy-de-Dôme also includes large sections of two regional parks, the Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne and the Parc Livradois-Forez. Those with a passion for the great outdoors are spoilt for choice here and even have the option to try hanggliding at the top of the Puy de Dôme volcano. The department is also home to Thiers, famous for its knives and cutlery industry, and both the town's museum and the workshops along the Vallée des Rouets are worth a visit.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France