68 Properties for sale in Ille-et-Vilaine, Brittany, France
The most eastern department of Brittany, Ille-et-Vilaine borders Lower Normandy and Pays de la Loire. Home to the sparkling Côte d'Emeraude, which takes its name from the colour of the sea, this section of coast stretches from Mont-St-Michel to St-Briac-sur-Mer, linking the ports of Cancale, St-Malo and Dinard. The Pointe du Grouin headland to the north of Cancale provides the ultimate viewing platform for the sparkling waters below, while the town of Cancale itself is worth a visit if just to sample its famed oysters.
CAPITAL: RENNES - Rennes is both the departmental capital of Ille-et-Vilaine and the regional capital of Brittany. In addition to a wealth of museums there are numerous parks and public gardens, with a large Saturday market in the elegant old quarter.
Average property prices
Ille-et-Vilaine department: €183 400
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Rennes and Dinard
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Rennes
By road: Rennes is 523km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Rennes): 7.9ºC/ 16.4ºC
Average annual rainfall: 694mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,717.1
The department boasts a number of enchanting towns, including St-Malo. The bustling seaport was the earliest important town to develop along this stretch of coast, and the ancient ramparts still guard the cobbled streets within. Another delightful place is Dinard, first settled by St-Malo's shipping merchants who built some of the town's magnificent houses. British and American aristocrats made Dinard a fashionable summer resort in the 19th century, and with sandy beaches galore it continues to be a popular destination.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France