1 Properties for sale in Doubs, Burgundy and Franche-Comté, France
Located next to Switzerland, Doubs is one of four departments which make up the Franche-Comté region. The department is a world away from the well-trodden tourist sites; whether it's the Gouffre de Poudrey in the north, the Saut du Doubs waterfall in the east or the top of Mont d'Or in the Jura mountain range in the east, nature is all around you here wherever you are. The area also boasts two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Vauban's Citadel in Besançon and the Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans, and is the birthplace of car manufacturer Peugeot.
CAPITAL: BESANÇON - Once the capital of a region known as Sequania, the city of Besançon was captured by the Romans and was labelled by Julius Caesar as ‘the jewel in my crown'. Today Besançon abounds in historic monuments, the most impressive of which is the imposing Citadel, a stunning example of 17th-century military architecture, designed by Vauban.
Average property prices
Doubs: €172 500
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Geneva
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Besançon
By road: Besançon is 655km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Besançon): 6.6ºc/15.3ºc
Average annual rainfall: 1,187.0mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,836.4
HIGHLIGHTS: Doubs is where natural beauty combines with a rich history to create an area which has just as much to offer as any other part of the country. For a heady dose of nature, try one of the calf-straining climbs of the majestic Jura mountain range, or stare in awe at the raw beauty of the Saut du Doubs waterfall to the east. If history appeals, then the ancient city of Besançon will delight you with its quaint centre brimming with historical monuments, many of which are testament to the city's long and tumultuous past.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France