2 Properties for sale in Jura, Burgundy and Franche-Comté, France
Bordering Switzerland, Jura is one of four departments that make up the Franche-Comté region. The name Jura comes from the Latin word ‘juria', meaning forest, and is a place of unspoiled beauty boasting one of the biggest forests in France, the fôret de Chaux. The area's hallmark has to be its many natural curiosities, which include the echoing Haut du Jura, where visitors can play with acoustic phenomena, and the lapiaz de Loulle, a geological formation riddled with faults and crevasses that has a distinctly ethereal feel.
CAPITAL: LONS-LE-SAUNIER - The small departmental capital of Lons-le-Saunier enjoys a picturesque setting at the foot of the dramatic Jura massif with rows of extensive vineyards to the north. The town boasts a compact centre with Place de la Liberté home to a statue dedicated to general Claude Lecourbe, from the French Revolutionary wars, who once studied here.
Average property prices
Jura department: €130 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Geneva
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Bourg-en-Bresse then regional services to Lons-le-Saunier
By road: Lons-le-Saunier is 655km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Besançon): 6.3ºc/15.3ºc
Average annual rainfall: 1187.0mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,836.4
Nestled in the east of France, Jura is nature's playground with plenty for visitors to see and do. The huge fôret de Chaux is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna and a good number of hiking trails too, while the area has many natural lakes, such as Lac de Chalain. The landscape gradually changes as you move from west to east and the altitude increases in steps akin to a staircase. Jura is France's premier crosscountry skiing area and each year hosts one of the world's toughest cross-country skiing events.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France