6 Properties for sale in Nièvre, Burgundy and Franche-Comté, France
One of four departments in the region of Burgundy, Nièvre is named after the eponymous river which runs though the department and is a tributary of the River Loire – the longest river in France. It is a very rural department scattered with small villages and vineyards and with only three towns of more than 100,000 inhabitants. About a fifth of Nièvre is covered by the Parc Naturel Régional du Morvan, which is a protected area of woodlands, lakes and traditional farmland in central Burgundy.
CAPITAL: NEVERS - Nevers can trace its history back to Roman times and stands on the right bank of the River Loire. Many of the buildings were built between the 14th and 17th centuries. One example, the Palais Ducal, dates back to the 15th century and has fine views over the river valley. The cathedral tower dominates the Nevers skyline.
Average property prices
Nièvre: €80 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: The closest airport is in Paris
By train: Eurostar to Paris then regional services to Nevers
By road: Nevers is 533km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Nevers): 5.8°C/16°C
Average annual rainfall: 867.2mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,774
Great places to visit in Nièvre include the impressive Château de Bazoches and the Abbey at Corbigny, which used to be one of the first stops for pilgrims starting at Vezélay on the route to Santiago de Compostela. The Parc Naturel Régional du Morvan is criss-crossed by streams, rivers and waterfalls and is dotted with traditional villages. It is a magnet for visitors wanting to get away from it all, while a boat trip on the Canal du Nivernais is an excellent way to see life in Nièvre from the slow lane.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France