19 Properties for sale in Saône-et-Loire, Burgundy and Franche-Comté, France
One of four departments that make up the Burgundy region, Saône-et-Loire is named after the two rivers that run through it. The east of the region, closer to Jura and the Alps, is hillier while the main wine-producing vineyards are in the north. Despite being the most populated department in Burgundy, especially in the east closer to Lyon, it offers plenty of unspoiled countryside, including part of the Morvan regional park in the north-west.
CAPITAL: MÂCON - In the south of the department near the Rhone-Alpes border, Mâcon is set in the heart of the Maconnais wine-producing area on the Rover Saône and has a 150-berth marina, pretty flower-bedecked streets, historic religious buildings and the unique Maison de Bois, whose wooden facade is covered in ribald statues of men, monkeys and masked figures.
Average property prices
Saône-et-Loire department: €120 800
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Lyon
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Mâcon
By road: Mâcon is 694km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Mâcon): 7.4oC/16.1oC
Average annual rainfall: 859.3mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,881.9
Known for its white cattle, the town of Charolles has a 14th-century castle and impressive architecture, a legacy of the days when it was home to the counts of Charollais, while Autun's long history started with the Romans who built ramparts and an amphitheatre. Other popular towns and villages include Louhan, Tournus, Berzé-la-Ville and Brancion, not forgetting Plus Beau Village Semur-en-Brionnais. Cluny abbey is one of the most visited religious buildings in France, while châteaux include Pierre-de-Bresse, Drée and Courmatin. On the summit of Mont Beuvray, the remains of Bibracte, once an important Celtic settlement, are now an official Grand Site de France.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France