7 Properties for sale in Loiret, Centre-Val de Loire, France
Now in the Centre-Val-de-Loire region, Loiret once belonged to the historic province of Orléanais. This largely flat department is divided into several parts, including the verdant Forêt d'Orleans, which contains the largest dominial forest in France; wheat-producing Beace; the wild Sologne region and the Gatinais, dotted with charming villages. The department's eponymous river is a tributary of the Loire. Popular towns include Pithiviers, which has châteaux and religious ruins; Gien, known for its medieval buildings and ramparts and the picturesque Sully-sur-Loire.
CAPITAL: ORLÉANS - Best known for its famous protector, Joan of Arc, Orléans is packed with heritage buildings. Its neighbourhoods trace the evolution of the city over centuries, from the préfecture which was the site of the original Forum in Antiquity, to Renaissance architecture and the 20th-century Parc Louis Pasteur. A festival in honour of Joan of Arc is held during the first week of May every year.
Average property prices
Loiret department: €152 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris and Tours
By train: Eurostar to Paris and regional network to Orléans
By road: Orléans is 420km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Orléans): 6.7°C/15.8°C
Average annual rainfall: 642.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,767.3
The flower-bedecked Plus Beau Village of Yèvre-le-Châtel draws visitors to its ramparts and 13th-century castle as well as its Romanesque church. For nature lovers, the Réserve Naturelle de Saint-Mesmin near Orléans is the place to view flora and fauna typical of the Loire Valley. To trace the story of Joan of Arc, visit the Maison de Jeanne d'Arc in Orléans. With its waterside houses lining the Loing river, the pretty village of Montargis in the Gatinais is not to be missed, while medieval Beaugency on the banks of the Loire is well worth a visit too.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France