1 Properties for sale in Haut-Rhin, Grand-Est (formerly Champagne-Ardenne, Lorraine and Alsace), France
Named after the River Rhine, which forms its eastern border, Haut-Rhin is one of two departments in Alsace. To the west lie the Vosges mountains and the remaining landscape is hilly with a fertile central plain. It is dotted with pretty villages, which in the summer are decked with pelargoniums; floral displays that in the past have won Haut-Rhin the Trophée du Departement Fleuri. The department's rich history lives on in its many châteaux, museums, churches and preserved battlefields from World War I.
CAPITAL: COLMAR - Self-proclaimed capital of Alsatian wine, Colmar is one of the stops on the Route des Vins d'Alsace, and its tiny twisting streets flanked with half-timbered houses are reminiscent of a medieval folk tale. The Petite Venise quarter is criss-crossed with picturesque canals, and is a delight to discover either on foot or by boat.
Average property prices
Haut-Rhin department: €210 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: UK flights into Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport
By train: Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Colmar
By road: Colmar is 625km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Colmar): 6.1°C/15.7°C
Average annual rainfall: 607.3mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,799
Haut-Rhin makes up part of the Parc des Ballons des Vosges and the highest peak, the Col du Ballon d'Alsace, was part of the Tour de France route in 1905. Two Plus Beaux Villages de France can be found in the department: Hunawihr and Riquewihr. They both stand surrounded by vines in the rolling Alsatian countryside. Other highlights include, for art lovers, the Musée d'Unterlinden in Colmar; for history buffs, the Ecomusée d'Alsace in Ungersheim; and for petrolheads, La Cité de l'Automobile in Mulhouse.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France