3 Properties for sale in Marne, Grand-Est (formerly Champagne-Ardenne, Lorraine and Alsace), France
In the north-west of Champagne-Ardenne, Marne has played a key role in France's history since the earliest of times. Clovis, the first king of the Franks, was baptised here in the fifth century; during World War I the department endured heavy bombardment. Épernay and Reims are home to the majority of the Champagne houses; much of the largely agricultural landscape is divided into modestly sized plots or parcelles owned by families of vignerons with generations of experience producing the sparking wine for which the department is famed.
CAPITAL: CHÂLONS-EN-CHAMPAGNE - Often eclipsed by the champagne hotspots of Reims and Épernay, the departmental capital offers its own charms. It's home to the national school for circus arts as well as a multitude of heritage buildings, from churches, cloisters and medieval caves to the houses on Place du Maréchal Foch that are listed monuments historiques.
Average property prices
Marne department: €158 100
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris and Metz
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then regional trains to Châlons-en-Champagne
By road: Châlons is 321km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (St-Dizier): 6.7°C/15.7°C
Average annual rainfall: 843.7mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,726.9
The city of Reims is a must-visit, with its vast cathedral featuring Chagall-designed stained glass and masterful stonework. There's plenty of Art Deco architecture, due to the reconstruction that took place in the aftermath of WWI. The Lac du Der in the south of Marne is the largest artificial lake in Europe and an ideal spot for a family getaway. In Épernay visit the pristine mansions that contain the large champagne houses and sip a coupe or two!
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France