2 Properties for sale in Meuse, Grand-Est (formerly Champagne-Ardenne, Lorraine and Alsace), France
One of four departments that make up the Lorraine region, Meuse is named after the River Meuse and was one of the great battlefields of World War I, the legacy of which can still be seen in the landscape and in the many memorials to those who died here. Meuse is also known for its medieval fortified churches, which were built in medieval times to withstand attack and provide refuge for local inhabitants, and for its half-timbered houses, some fine examples of which can be found in the capital Bar-le-Duc, Mognéville and Contrisson.
CAPITAL: BAR-LE-DUC - The only town in the region designated a Ville d'Art et d'Histoire, Bar-le-Duc stands on the River Ornain, and dates back to the 10th century. In its early days it was a fortress, but later during more peaceful times it saw prosperity in the textile, metalworking and brewing industries.
Average property prices
Meuse department: €82 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris and Strasbourg
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Meuse
By road: Bar-le-Duc is 384km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Bar-le-Duc): 6.7°C/15.7°C
Average annual rainfall: 843.7mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,726.9
Meuse is a paradise for anglers with numerous watercourses, including the River Meuse, which are well stocked with a variety of fish including trout, roach, carp, zander and pike. Visitors should also experience the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, where 14,000 war graves lie in sight of the main battlefields of World War I, the tunnels and the trenches at the Butte de Vauquois, and the museum at Verdun. The European museum of beer at Stenay – an exploration of the history of beer production – will provide some muchneeded light relief.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France