1 Properties for sale in Moselle, Grand-Est (formerly Champagne-Ardenne, Lorraine and Alsace), France
A frontier department which has strong cultural and historical connections with its neighbours, Germany and Luxembourg, Moselle is a land of thick forests, extensive vineyards, sparkling lakes and fertile valleys, and is one of four departments in the Lorraine region. Named after the River Moselle, the department has its own distinct culture and a minority of inhabitants speak a Germanic dialect known as platt lorrain thanks to the efforts which have been made to revive it since the end of World War II.
CAPITAL: METZ - Departmental capital Metz stands on the banks of the Rivers Moselle and Seille and is a Cité d'Art et d'Histoire with a heritage dating back 3,000 years to Gallo-Roman times, and a flair for mixing ancient and modern with sophisticated panache, a feat epitomised by the modern and contemporary art gallery the Centre Pompidou-Metz.
Average property prices
Moselle department: €149 300
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris and Strasbourg
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Metz
By road: Metz is 466km from Calais
Average annual temperature: 6.4°C/15°C
Average annual rainfall: 757.8mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,640.4
St-Quirin in the foothills of the Vosges mountains is one of the must-visit places in Moselle. It is one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France, as is Rodemack, known as Petite Carcassonne Lorraine because of the 15th century ramparts which still surround it. The museums and art galleries of capital Metz also pull in the crowds, as does the zoo at l'Amnéville-les-Thermes, and every year in August Metz holds a two-week festival in celebration of the Mirabelle plum, which can be enjoyed fresh or as a tart or liqueur.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France