7 Properties for sale in Aisne, Hauts-de-France (formerly Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardy), France
Close to Paris, the department of Aisne is currently in the Picardy region and once counted poet Jean de la Fontaine and author Alexandre Dumas among its residents. The department suffered badly during both world wars when large swathes of forest, towns and landmarks were destroyed. However, it still counts a number of historical monuments and forests among its attractions and there are many cycling and walking routes through the countryside. The department is within easy reach of Paris, the Champagne area and the ferry ports of northern France.
CAPITAL: LAON - Laon is designated a town of art and history and is home to a number of historic monuments. The ornate Gothic cathedral is a must-see as are the ruins of the Vauclair Abbey and the town's medieval centre. On a hill just outside the town, Château de Coucy is a 13th-century castle that is popular with visitors.
Average property prices
Aisne department: € 110,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Laon
By road: Laon is 228km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (St-Quentin): 6.3°C/14.4°C
Average annual rainfall: 702.6mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,659.9
Aisne has one Plus Beau Village, Parfondeval, close to the Belgian border. The village has striking red-brick and grey slate-roofed houses and is surrounded by apple orchards, pastureland and fields of maize. Despite much damage caused during the two world wars, the department has a number of historical monuments and most towns can count a cathedral, abbey and castle among its attractions. A lot of visitors come to Aisne to see the war cemeteries and battlefields in the Chemin des Dames area.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France