22 Properties for sale in Nord, Hauts-de-France (formerly Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardy), France
Nord is the only department in France in which Flemish is spoken along with French, and it is also the most populated department of France. One of two departments in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region, and the site of fierce fighting in World War I, Nord was previously an industrial department with strong mining and textile industries. Its links with preindustrial days are maintained through the many restored windmills to be found here, such as the Moulin de Cassel which is still operational and stands at the highest point in Flanders.
CAPITAL: LILLE - Possibly one of France's most underrated cities, departmental capital Lille has strong industrial roots but is now a classy and self-confident commercial and cultural hub. With three renowned art galleries, including the Palais des Beaux Arts, stylish shopping and dining options and a vibrant night-life, Lille is easy to get to and just a stone's throw from the UK.
Average property prices
Nord department: €150 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Paris
By train: Eurostar to Lille, taking approximately an hour 30 minutes
By road: Lille is 112km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Lille): 7.1°C/14.5°C
Average annual rainfall: 742.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,617.5
France's first regional nature park is to be found in Nord, the Parc Naturel Régional de Scarpe-Escaut, which was established in 1968 and is perfect for exploration by bike or on foot. Animal lovers will enjoy visiting the numerous zoos in the department such as Fort Mardyck Zoo in Dunkirk and Lille Zoological Park. The annual Braderie de Lille antiques fair is a magnet for bargain hunters while culture fiends are well catered for in the capital with museums and art galleries, including the innovative Roubaix-La Piscine.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France