3 Properties for sale in Oise, Hauts-de-France (formerly Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardy), France
Nestled in the Picardy countryside, north of Paris, Oise is a treasure trove of former royal residences, Gothic cathedrals, castles and châteaux, including the magnificent Château de Pierrefonds. Although only 35km from the capital, Oise is covered by 120,000 hectares of forest and the countryside is criss-crossed with trails that are perfect for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. It is not short on culture either, boasting no less than 600 historic monuments, including Senlis cathedral, the Abbatiale de St-Germer-de-Fly, and the royal Palais de Compiègne.
CAPITAL: BEAUVAIS - Twinned with Maidstone in the UK, the capital Beauvais stands on the River Thérain where it meets the River Avelon. The city's cathedral, the Cathédrale St-Pierre, is a rare example of Carolingian architecture and heroine Jeanne Hachette, whose bravery saved the city in 1472, is commemorated in a bronze statue, which stands opposite the town hall. Dominique Ansel, the pastry chef responsible for creating the ‘Cronut', a croissant and donut hybrid, was born here.
Average property prices
Oise department: €180 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Beauvais-Tillé
By train: Eurostar to Paris then regional services to Oise
By road: Oise is 214km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Beauvais): 6.5°C/14.9°C
Average annual rainfall: 669.4mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,669.4
Thrill-seekers will be drawn to Oise for a ride on the famous rollercoaster at Parc Astérix while a more leisurely afternoon can be found in the village of Gerberoy, whose pretty half-timbered houses have earned it a place on the list of Plus Beaux Villages de France. The department is littered with beautiful parks and gardens including Parc Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the Château de Chantilly, and many artisans keep alive the ancient traditions of lace-making, mother-of-pearl working, weaving and pottery in small-scale workshops and museums.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France