6 Properties for sale in Somme, Hauts-de-France (formerly Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardy), France
This northern department in the region of Picardy has a distinct feel with its flat and open terrain and its particular accents and dialects. The area has been the site of some of the most important battles in European history, not least of which being the eponymous battle of World War I. Today, many people come here to visit the memorials and battlefields, as well as the department's seaside resorts along the coast.
CAPITAL: AMIENS - The main claim to fame for this city is its impressive Gothic cathedral, which has been given UNESCO World Heritage status. Twice a year, festivals are held around the historic monument: La Festivale en Couleurs in September and Le Marché de Noël in December. The St-Leu quarter is particularly pleasant, with narrow streets full of art galleries, bookshops, boutiques and antique dealers, mingling with its narrow and colourful houses. The water market is a great place to start the day on a Saturday morning, while the trendy bars around the Notre-Dame bring the day to a close.
Average property prices
Somme department: €125 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Amiens is only 100km from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport
By train: Eurostar to Lille and regional services to Somme
By road: Amiens is 156km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Abbeville): 7.0°C/14.1°C
Average annual rainfall: 782.6mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,679.9
Among the best war museums are the Museum of the Great War in Péronne and the Somme 1916 museum in Albert. Other attractions include the floating gardens of Les Hortillonnages in Amiens and the 15th-century Château de Rambures. Fort-Mahon-Plage boasts a sandy beach backed by colourful houses, while Valery-sur-Somme is a charming medieval village on the Baie de la Somme.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France