190 Properties for sale in Calvados, Normandy, France
On the northern coast of France, Calvados, currently part of the Lower Normandy region, has had a turbulent history, playing an important role in World War II and as the home of William the Conqueror. Memorials to both parts of history are evident across the department but there are also glamorous seaside resorts to explore and plenty of cheese and cider to sample.
CAPITAL: CAEN - William the Conqueror commissioned many of the city's most famous sites, including the Château de Caen, which now houses the museum of Normandy and the museum of fine arts. Much of Caen was destroyed during the Battle of Normandy in 1944 and has been rebuilt since. The Caen Memorial is an award-winning museum dedicated to peace and is regarded as one of the best World War II museums in France.
Average property prices
Calvados department: €178 200
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Caen and Deauville
By train: Eurostar to Paris then regional services
By road: Caen is 338km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Caen): 7.4°C/15.1°C
Average annual rainfall: 739.9mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,691.2
Many come to Normandy to visit the D-Day beaches and there is an annual festival in June to commemorate the Landings of 1944. There is also the Bayeux Tapestry which depicts the Norman invasion of England by William the Conqueror and is on display in the town of Bayeux. It's not all history though; Calvados is home to some of France's most prestigious seaside resorts, including Deauville and Trouville, both of which remain popular with Parisians.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France