327 Properties for sale in Manche, Normandy, France
Named after the English Channel into which it extends, Manche is the most westerly department of Lower Normandy. The word manche in French means sleeve, and La Manche is the French name for the English Channel, which is said to be because of its sleeve-like shape. A predominantly rural department, the area surrounding St-Lô is the horse-breeding capital of the country. Manche includes the Cotentin peninsula with the off-shore Channel Island of Chaussey to the west.
CAPITAL: ST-LÔ Coutances was the first capital of Manche and became the capital once more when St-Lô was virtually destroyed during the Battle of Normandy in World War II. Originally called Briovère (meaning ‘the bridge on the River Vire’ in Gaulish), St-Lô began as a fortified settlement, and once rebuilt, resumed its role as capital.
Average property prices
Manche: €130 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: The nearest airport is in the neighbouring department of Caen
By train: Eurostar to Paris then regional trains to St-Lô via Caen
By road: St-Lô is 411km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Gonneville): 7.9ºc/ 13.5ºc
Average annual rainfall: 919.7mm
Average annual sunshine hours: approximately 1,690 across Normandy
Manche is home to Barfleur, an important port in the Middle Ages which continues to be a big yachting and fishing port today. The Gatteville lighthouse stands at the tip of Barfleur and was first lit in 1775. Manche also boasts some 330km of coastline and has a wealth of beautiful beaches along its shores, many of which have been awarded European blue flag status.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France