274 Properties for sale in Orne, Normandy, France
Along with neighbouring Calvados, the Orne department shares the countryside known as Suisse Normande, renowned for a landscape studded with dramatic wooded hills and gorges. Hugely popular with hikers and walkers, the area has also earned a reputation for being a centre of equestrian excellence and boasts numerous racecourses, such as that found in Argentan, and studs, including the national stud, Le Haras du Pin. The department is also home to many bridleways and invites you to discover its equine connection at your own pace, with both pony trekking and donkey rides as popular ways to discover the area's natural beauty.
CAPITAL: ALENÇON - The department's capital is a quaint town, home to the world-renowned point d'Alençon fine lace. The lace-making industry grew rapidly during the reign of Louis XIV and a Royal Workshop was established in Alençon in 1665. Just 10 years later the unique Alençon lace style emerged, the history of which is vividly recaptured today in the town's Museum of Fine Arts and Lace.
Average property prices
Orne department: €95 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Caen
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Le Mans then regional services to Alençon
By road: Alençon is 374km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Alençon): 6.6ºC/15.3ºC
Average annual rainfall: 746.7mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,689.5
The Orne department is also home to the renowned spa town of Bagnoles de l'Orne. A Belle Époque town, Bagnoles keeps up to date with the latest in luxurious treatments. Nature lovers are well catered for here, with the several forests within the Normandy-Maine regional natural park providing plenty of opportunities for a day of riding, fishing or hiking. Further north is the village of Camembert, where cheese aficionados can learn about the history of this iconic French cheese in the local museum.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France