1950 Properties for sale in Charente, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
Currently one of the departments of Poitou-Charentes, Charente is a peaceful area with a number of pretty riverside villages, cognac vineyards and unspoilt landscape. Even departmental capital Angoulême is only home to around 50,000 people, although it has a number of popular festivals. Although inland, Charente is only 45 minutes from the Atlantic coast.
CAPITAL: ANGOULÊME - Dating back to the 6th century, the history of Angoulême is still clear to see. The old town is home to many attractive buildings, a magnificent cathedral and winding cobbled streets, and a section of the original ramparts still remains intact. Highlights in the annual calendar include the classic car race, Circuit des Remparts, and the international comic festival.
Average property prices
Charente department: €106,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: La Rochelle and Poitiers
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Angoulême
By road: Angoulême is 737km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Cognac): 8.6°C/18°C
Average annual rainfall: 777.1mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,995.9
The River Charente passes through the department to which it gave its name and there are many pretty villages along its banks, including Jarnac. The only Plus Beau Village in Charente is Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, once the scene of battles during the Wars of Religion and now a stopping point on the St-Jacques de Compostelle pilgrim route. Other must-sees include capital Angoulême and Cognac.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France