2408 Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
Dordogne, currently part of the Aquitaine region, has long been popular with British buyers and has earned the nickname ‘Dordogneshire' as a result. Named after the river running through it, Dordogne roughly corresponds with the former province of Périgord and is still broadly divided into four areas known as Périgord Vert, Périgord Blanc, Périgord Pourpre and Périgord Noir.
CAPITAL: PÉRIGUEUX - In the north of Dordogne, Périgueux sits on the River Isle. Architectural remains from the Roman Empire can still be seen throughout Périgueux including an amphitheatre and Roman ruins at the Vésunna museum. The impressive cathedral sits prominently on a hill and remains an important stop for pilgrims on the St-Jacques de Compostelle route.
Average property prices
Dordogne department: €115,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Bergerac, Brive Vallée de la Dordogne and Bordeaux
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Bordeaux then regional services
By road: Périgueux is 775km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Bergerac): 7.4°C/18.5°C
Average annual rainfall: 800.7mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,976
Dordogne is home to 10 of France's Plus Beaux Villages, which include Castelnaudla-Chapelle, Limeuil, Monpazier, St-Amandde-Coly, St-Jean-de-Côle, Belvès, Domme and La Roque-Gageac. The town of Sarlat-la-Canéda has the highest density of historic monuments of any town in France thanks to the Malraux law, trialled in Sarlat in 1962, which aimed to preserve and protect the heritage of France's towns. Close to the village of Montignac, the Lascaux caves have become famous for their Paleolithic paintings on the walls.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France