241 Properties for sale in Gironde, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
Famous for its wine, the department of Gironde is currently in the Aquitaine region and boasts a long Atlantic coastline. Vineyards cover vast swathes of land and produce famous names including Médoc and Bordeaux. Recently the beneficiary of an extensive restoration project, the city of Bordeaux is the capital of the department and is France's sixth largest city. As well as beautiful beaches, Gironde attracts wildlife enthusiasts and hikers to explore the Gironde estuary and the rolling countryside.
CAPITAL: BORDEAUX - Bordeaux's far-reaching restoration has improved its good looks and today its historic 18th-century buildings are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city sits on the River Garonne and there are plenty of festivals along the river bank. It is also the capital of the area's wine trade.
Average property prices
Gironde department: €245,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Regular flights from the UK to Bordeaux
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Bordeaux
By road: Toulouse is 870km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Bordeaux): 9.1°C/18.5°C
Average annual rainfall: 944.1mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,035.4
Gironde has a long expanse of Atlantic coastline which boasts some stunning beaches to rival the Mediterranean coast, including the sandy Côte d'Argent which is the longest beach in Europe, which attracts many a surfer keen to ride the Atlantic rollers. Protected by dunes, including Pyla, the tallest sand dune in Europe, it is backed by pine woodland spanning 480,000 hectares. Gironde is also home to the elegant town of Arcachon. The Gironde estuary is a birdwatcher's paradise and inland there are lakes, cycling and walking routes aplenty.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France