462 Properties for sale in Haute-Vienne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
The department of Haute-Vienne is home to the region's capital of Limoges and captures much of the spirit and charm of a region that more Brits seem to be falling in love with. Famous for its rolling landscape, the area is full of forests, lakes and rivers, with castles rearing up from the granite and has been compared to the British countryside of the mid-20th century. The department is in fact one third forest, and with a population below the French national average, it is the perfect place for those seeking a tranquil retreat.
CAPITAL: LIMOGES - Situated at the western part of the Massif Central mountain range, Limoges boasts a strong industrial past, renowned throughout the world for its famous porcelain, but also for its craftsmanship of enamel and stained glass. Today Limoges is a major university town punctuated with large green spaces.
Average property prices
Haute-Vienne department: €110 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Limoges
By train: Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Limoges
By road: Limoges is 680km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Limoges): 7.7ºC/15.2ºC
Average annual rainfall: 1,023.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,899.8
The most western department of Limousin, Haute-Vienne is a mix of industry and tranquil villages, serving as a haven for those overwhelmed by city life. For those after a taste of history, Limoges straddling the River Vienne with its smattering of historical monuments is definitely worth a visit. The department is also home to a number of charming châteaux, including the 15th-century Château de Montbrun which once served to protect the borders of the Duchy of Aquitaine. Meanwhile, water sport enthusiasts will relish the manmade Lac de Vassivière, one of the largest lakes in France.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France