965 Properties for sale in Lot-et-Garonne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
In the north-west of Aquitaine, Lot-et-Garonne is influenced by cultures of the old provinces that surround it – Périgord, Quercy and Gascony. Rugby and hunting are both ingrained in the way of life in this deeply rural department, which roughly equates to the former province of Agenais. Occitan culture is alive and well and the Occitan language is taught in a number of bilingual schools. Bastide villages and over 300 pigeonniers, the dovecots found in historic grand houses, punctuate the landscape.
CAPITAL: AGEN - For centuries the town of Agen passed in ownership between France and England as the two nations fought for control of Aquitaine. Today this town on the right bank of the Garonne river is a pleasing mix of ancient narrow alleyways, religious buildings and elegant 18th to 20th-century architecture.
Average property prices
Lot-et-Garonne department: €123 800
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Bergerac, Toulouse and Bordeaux
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Agen
By road: Agen is 950km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Agen): 8.4°C/18.5°C
Average annual rainfall: 712.2mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,982.4
The department's dramatic past means there's a wealth of fortified towns and castles to explore. Lovely bastides include Monflanquin and Pujols-le-Haut, which are both Plus Beaux Villages. The castle ruins at Bonaguil are fun to explore while the Château Henri IV at Nerac traces the story of Henry de Navarre. A great number of lakes mean fishing is a popular pastime while the Garonne river is popular with pleasure craft. For outdoors types, the 80km of cycle paths along the Lot valley provide a picturesque way to see the department.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France