402 Properties for sale in Aude, Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
Home to two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, swathes of vineyards, Mediterranean coastline, a rich history and good food, Aude, currently in Languedoc-Roussillon, is something of a hidden gem. Away from Carcassonne and the Canal du Midi the department is largely unknown, yet it has much to offer whether you prefer a busy town or peaceful countryside and, most importantly, there is an abundance of good wine.
CAPITAL: CARCASSONNE - The town of Carcassonne is a town of two halves – there is the fairytale walled Cité, instantly recognisable and of one France's most visited attractions, and there is the ville basse across the river which is where the majority of the town's inhabitants live. Carcassonne is famous for its Roman and medieval fortifications, and a walk around the lices, the open space between the outer wall of the Cité and the inner fortifications, is not to be missed.
Average property prices
Aude department: €131 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Carcassonne airport has regular flights from London Stansted, while Toulouse in neighbouring Midi-Pyrénées is the closest large international airport
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Carcassonne
By road: Carcassonne is 1,057km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Carcassonne): 9.7°C/18.6°C
Average annual rainfall: 648.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,119.3
History buffs can immerse themselves in the numerous Cathar castles in Aude and the iconic walled Cité de Carcassonne, said to be the inspiration behind Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty castle. Restored by Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in 1853, the Cité is now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Canal du Midi, also a UNESCO site, passes through the department, and there is also the lively Roman town of Narbonne to explore.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France