101 Properties for sale in Gard, Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
Settled by the Romans and crossed by the Via Domitia, the first Roman road to be built linking Italy and Spain, Gard is named after the River Gardon. Originally created from the ancient province of Languedoc, it is currently one of the five departments that make up the Languedoc-Roussillon region. The department's Roman heritage is best preserved in the capital Nîmes and the nearby Pont du Gard viaduct, while there is plenty of beautiful countryside to explore.
CAPITAL: NÎMES - Important during Roman times, departmental capital Nîmes boasts some of the best remaining examples of Roman architecture, including Les Arènes amphitheatre and the spectacular aqueduct le Pont du Gard outside the city. Nîmes was also the birthplace of denim – the word coming from ‘serge de Nîmes'.
Average property prices
Gard department: €190 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Brive Vallée de la Dordogne, Limoges and Bergerac
By train: Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to Nîmes
By road: Nîmes is 1,010km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Nîmes): 10.2°C/20.2°C
Average annual rainfall: 762.9mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,662.9
Gard contains part of the Cévennes national park, an area of outstanding natural beauty, and the Causses limestone plateaux, as well as an expanse of marshy plain known as the ‘Petite Camargue'. Gard is home to three Plus Beaux Villages: the fortified village of Aiguèze perched on a cliff overlooking the Ardèche gorges, Montclus nestled in a bend of the Cèze River and the hilltop village of La Roque-sur-Cèze. Not to be missed is the spectacular Pont du Gard viaduct, one of France's most visited attractions.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France