181 Properties for sale in Pyrénées-Orientales, Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
Prior to the Treaty of the Pyrénées in 1659, most of what is now Pyrénées-Orientales was part of the former Principality of Catalonia. It is the most southerly of the five departments that make up the Languedoc-Roussillon region. From the peak of Canigou to the Mediterranean and Vermillion coast, the scenery is as spectacular as it is diverse, with mountain and sea-based activities galore to enjoy. The pretty port of Collioure attracted artists such as Matisse and Picasso, while spa town Amélie-les-Bains is known for its thermal springs.
CAPITAL: PERPIGNAN - The last major city in France before the Spanish border, Perpignan was once Catalonia's second city after Barcelona and it continues to feel as much Spanish or Catalan as it does French, despite being transferred to France in 1659. The city today is a mix of wide boulevards and winding streets and is the setting for the lively Estivales festival at summer.
Average property prices
Pyrénées-Orientales department: €170 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: London Stansted to Perpignan
By train: Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Perpignan
By road: Perpignan is 1,134km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Perpignan): 11.4ºC/ 20.1ºC
Average annual rainfall: 557.6mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,464.9
Pyrénées-Orientales is home to five Plus Beaux Villages: Castelnou, Eus, Evol, Mosset and Villefranche-de-Conflent. The latter was fortified by the famous French military engineer Vauban, and is the departure point for the Little Yellow Train through the Pyrénées. The area is also home to the town of Céret, which is considered to be one of the birthplaces of Cubism; its Musée d'Art Moderne features a number of works by iconic 20th-century artists, including Picasso, Matisse and Chagall.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France