87 Properties for sale in Maine-et-Loire, Pays de la Loire, France
Bisected by the River Loire, this department in central Pays-de- la-Loire is highly agricultural. Set between Paris and the Atlantic coast, Maine-et-Loire has the largest share of the Loire Valley vineyards and 64% of the entire department is given over to farming. Key towns include Saumur, built of elegant pale stone, and textile capital Cholet in the south. A rural idyll of vineyards, châteaux and troglodyte dwellings, the department is popular with tourists, however, it is economically dynamic too, with important engineering, science and research sectors.
CAPITAL: ANGERS The birthplace of the Plantagenet dynasty and capital of the Anjou province, Angers was the stage for some of the most important events in the country’s history. A green-leaning city with a medieval heart, its highlights include the St-Maurice cathedral and the longest medieval tapestry in the world, the Apocalypse Tapestry.
Average property prices
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Year-round flights to Angers
By train: Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Angers
By road: Angers is 511km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Beaucouzé): 7.9°C/16.6°C
Average annual rainfall: 693.3mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,798.5
History buffs will be in their prime with a wealth of religious and architectural heritage. The château d’Angers and Fontevraud Abbaye are two of the department’s most visited heritage sites. The Plus Beau Village of Montsoreau was made famous by the Alexandre Dumas novel La Dame de Montsoreau. Saumur is known as La cité blanche for its white stone buildings and also home to troglodyte dwellings hewn from the soft rock. At the Terra Botanica theme park you can learn about the fascinating world of plants while a trip to the Cointreau museum in Angers is a must between visits to the many vineyards.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France