176 Properties for sale in Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France
Sandwiched between Normandy and the Loire Valley, the department of Mayenne in Pays-de-la-Loire is named after the river that meanders through it. A key trading route for the area for many years, the main towns of Laval, Mayenne and Château-Gontier developed as people settled beside the river. Old lock-keepers' cottages can be found on the 100km-long towpath running alongside it, which has now been given a new lease of life as part of the Loire à Vélo cycle trail. A relaxing ride at a leisurely pace is the perfect way to enjoy the unspoilt scenery.
CAPITAL: LAVAL - Laval is a picturesque medieval town, and with its majestic château, ancient bridge and series of ramparts and towers is an ideal place to explore on foot. A stroll to the Jardin Botanique de la Perrine, with its English-style rose garden and memorial to Laval-born painter Henri Rousseau, is not to be missed.
Average property prices
Mayenne department: €100,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Nantes
By train: Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Laval
By road: Laval is 464km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Laval): 7.1ºC/15.9ºC
Average annual rainfall: 769.1mm
Average annual sunshine hours: approx 1,800 annual sunshine hours
Located to the east of Laval is the Plus Beau Village of Ste-Suzanne, renowned for resisting William the Conqueror's attempts to capture it in the 11th century. Just a short distance from the medieval village is the Dolmen des Erves, a monument from the megalithic period which shows incredibly early signs of human existence in the Mayenne. The area also hosts the Festival des Nuits de la Mayenne and the Festival des Trois Éléphants, which means there's plenty of things to do and fun to be had throughout the year.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France