100 Properties for sale in Sarthe, Pays de la Loire, France
Bordered by two regional natural parks to the north and all the delights of the Loire Valley to the west, the department of Sarthe is well situated to enjoy both the rural aspects of these areas as well as being in close proximity to Paris. With no less than 200 historical sites, the department is full of ecclesiastical and architectural wonders, culminating in the 1,000 years of history you can enjoy in the town of Le Mans. The Sarthe valley, cutting through the Alpes Mancelles hills, is a popular place to go canoeing, mountain biking and fishing, and the best place to explore this from is the port village of Sables-sur-Sarthe.
CAPITAL: LE MANS - Famed for its 24-hour endurance road race, Le Mans enjoys far more than merely motorsports mania. Its well-preserved old town includes remnants of the Roman walls, towers and baths, while the Jardin des Plantes du Mans is a beautiful Victorian botanical garden with both French terraces and an English-style park. The St-Julien cathedral is the spiritual highlight of the city, and is considered to be one of the best examples of its kind in France.
Average property prices
Sarthe department: €125,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Tours and Angers
By train: Eurostar to Lille or Paris, then TGV to Le Mans
By road: Le Mans is 424km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Le Mans): 7.5°C/16.5°C
Average annual rainfall: 687.5mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 1,771.8
The historic importance of Le Mans has seen it being named as a Ville d'Art et d'Histoire, while other notable villages include Asnieres-sur-Vegre, St-Calais (awarded Petite Cité de Caractère) and Malicorne, known for its ceramic arts. Château de Lude is the best example in the department of a Loire Valley château.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France