18 Properties for sale in Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
As its name suggests, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence is the area where the Alps meets Provence and so is a land of both mountains and lavender fields. Currently in the region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, the department shares a border with Italy and is only 80km from the French Riviera. Sparsely populated, it has a number of tourist attractions including the exclusive ski resorts of the Alps and the Gorges du Verdon. The mountains are also popular in the summer with walkers and there are a lot of protected fauna and flora species to be found on the slopes.
CAPITAL: DIGNE-LES-BAINS - Located at the foot of some impressive hills, Digne-les-Bains is a small spa town surrounded by countryside. It's the centre of lavender production in France and the Corso festival is held every summer to celebrate the lavender. The town also boasts two cathedrals and was used by Victor Hugo in the opening of his famous work Les Misérables.
Average property prices
Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department: € 170 000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Nice, Marseille, Avignon
By train: Eurostar to Avignon or Marseille, then TGV to Aix-en-Provence and local trains
Average annual temperature: (St-Auban): 7.1°C/18.7°C
Average annual rainfall: 694.9mm
Average annual sunshine hours: 2,775.4
The major draw for visitors are the Gorges du Verdon, a 25km-long river canyon that is up to 700m deep. The gorges are popular with rock climbers as well as kayakers and walkers who admire the turquoise green waters. Near the gorges and the artificial lake at the end of them, Lac de Ste-Croixdu-Verdon is the department's only Plus Beau Village, Moustiers-Ste-Marie, built into an indentation in the rock and famous for its pottery. The village of Sisteron is also worth a visit.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France