2509 Properties for sale in Var, Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
From St-Raphaël to St-Tropez and Ste-Maxime, the department of Var in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur is home to some of France's most iconic seaside resorts. Var is also known for its harbour in Toulon, which is the main base of the French Navy. While it boasts some 420km of coastline, including the offshore islands, some 56% of the department is forest and it is also largely mountainous as a result of its location at the foothills of the Alps.
CAPITAL: TOULON - Located on the Mediterranean, Toulon is an important centre for naval construction, armaments and the production of aeronautic equipment. The city boasts a quaint centre, sprinkled with wonderfully restored fountains and sun-dappled squares, along with numerous Provençal food markets, the most famous of which is held daily on the Cours Lafayette.
Average property prices
Var department: €313,000
Source: Notaires de France
Access from UK
By air: Toulon
By train: Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Toulon
By road: Toulon is 1,135km from Calais
Average annual temperature: (Hyères): 10.7ºC/19.9ºC
Average annual rainfall: 652.0mm
Average annual sunshine hours: approximately 2,700 in the region
The Gorges du Verdon, often dubbed France's Grand Canyon, is one of the most popular tourist sites in Provence. 25km long and up to 700m deep, it is a paradise for water sports enthusiasts. Lying off the coast of Hyères, the charming islands of Porquerolles, Port-Cros and Levant make up the Îles d'Hyères and together they cover an area of 29km. The department also boasts the stunning Le Thoronet Abbey and Fréjus cathedral; the 12th century abbey is one of the country's best preserved medieval Cistercian monasteries, while the cathedral is considered to be the oldest Christian structure in Provence.
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France