Rarely available 4 bedroom riverside property, Lot, Occitanie
EXCLUSIVE TO BEAUX VILLAGES ! Rarely available 4 bedroom riverside property
Only the second time to come on the market in over 70 years!
This 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom Lotois watermill, with origins dating to the 14th century, stands on the small river Vert with 250 yards of private river frontage (the present owners kept a punt), a riverside garden with quince and walnut trees, a fragrant walled garden within the roofless walls of the original mill. The site, between the river and some five acres of the mill’s own wooded hillside (home to deer, pine martens and a host of other animals and birds) offers privacy and clean air. An old ‘source’ provides limestone-rock-filtered water.
Situated in a friendly bastide village with plenty going on, the house looks across the Vert to a medieval-style communal garden and over the village square (boules every afternoon) to the 13th century church with its wall of bells, a monument of national importance. There’s a post-office (in the Mairie), a hairdresser, a couple of brocantes and two restaurants, the nearer being just 100 yards away. Two minutes walk brings you to the village’s swimming beach on the Lot, supervised in summer by a life-guard.
Much improved over the years, the house has 4 bedrooms (3 ensuite), a large kitchen (of handmade oak) with dining and fireside sitting areas, a separate drawing room with an old ‘French’ ceiling and a stunning library both of which open via tall French doors to a balcony looking out over the river. The odd fly has been cast from here. All the main living areas are at first floor level. Behind the house is a courtyard garden with a water-lily pond built into the cliff and gravel standing for two cars. At ground level is a garage-cum-workshop, and a big storage cellar. A two-room stone basement with old stone sink and fireplace adjacent to the walled garden could be converted for use as a summer apartment.
At a lower level still are a vaulted stone cave and a turbine-cellar that once made electricity (some ceramic insulators still remain). It could be equipped with a modern turbine to generate clean hydroelectric power to cut electricity bills and do one’s bit for the planet.
Mandate type: Direct - Fees to be paid by the vendor
Primary Energy Consumption (kWh/m2/year) For This Property
Similar Properties In This Area
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France