Detached charentaise house brimming with character and history ; 3/4 bedrooms, large dependences . Hidden in the centre of a large villages with commerces ., Charente-Maritime, Nouvelle Aquitaine
The Commanderie is an impressive south facing Charentaise stone house which was the former stronghold of the Knights Templiers . Large double gates open to reveal a private secure walled and beautifully kept garden and second adjoining plot of land with a truffle orchard. 3 large barns and various outbuildings .
The Commanderie offers a luxury farmhouse kitchen , with stone work tops ; Modern bathroom with bath and shower ; Central heating provided by a new wood pellet boiler , Mains drains and Fibre internet .
In the centre of the village with all commerces : Boulangerie, Press , hairdressers, florist and Post Office, Doctors , physiotherapy , pharmacy , bank and a primary school. There is a twice weekly market selling fresh produce of the area and an excellent Fishmonger All commerce are 2 minutes on foot - however the house is completely calm and private .
The Commanderie was the former stronghold of the Knights Templiers and boasts historical links to the Hospitaliers of St. John of Jerusalem ; it remained in their possession until the Revolution, when their domains were sold to private individuals. The Chateaux of which this property formed part of sadly burnt down at the end of the 17th century, but there are still remnants intact -Original stone columns in the barns that date back to the 12th century, window slits along the walkway for shooting arrows down at the enemy, an adjoining stable, a former distillery for making brandy which joins the threshing floor. A pair of impressive large front gates and side gate at which the castle used to receive the fruits for the distillery and revenues of the commanderie - two wells for drawing water, all enclosed in the same courtyard as well as a prison cell, and pigsty.
Surrounded by open countryside and vineyards the area boasts some of the worlds finest Cognac. The town of Matha is just 10 km , Cognac 27km and Saint Jean D'Angely 29k La Rochelle and the coast are just 1 h 15 minutes by car .
Similar Properties In This Area
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France