Stunning 19th century Italian style chateau, very quiet environment, beautiful park with swimming pool, at the foot of the Cevennes National Park…huge potential…St Ambroix 5 miles, Nimes 40 miles, Gard, Occitanie
120466ABE30 - This large country house, or chateau, was built in 1850 on the remains of an old abbey, where originally there was a Gallo Roman site: "La Villa Robiaca"
The chateau is divided into three parts:
- Large reception rooms on the 1st floor ... the summer apartments
- Holiday rental apartment with 5 rooms, 120m2, on the 1st floor
- Winter apartments, well insulated and comfortable, on the 2nd floor
- In addition, there are 500m2 of dry usable cellars on the ground floor
The beautiful Italian-style large reception rooms are built around a lovely glass roofed conservatory: main hall, entrance, salon, large living room and drawing room….all have floors made from beautiful Venetian marble “seminato” .
The large drawing room is remarkable for the walnut woodwork, its painted 19th century ceiling, representing the four Roman ideas of art: painting, music, sculp-ture and literature. The fireplace is in period marble.
These rooms overlook a terrace of 120m2, overlooking the park. On this level there is also a summer rental apartment, with two bedrooms, living room, kitch-en, bathroom, and independent entrance.
On the 2nd floor there are the large bedrooms and bathrooms, and a smart studio apartment.
The cellars occupy 500m2, 20 cellars all numbered and with little pathways, they were formerly the stewardship rooms (kitchen, laundry, pantry etc.) Here there is great potential to create a games room, spa, sauna, and so on
The attic offers great opportunities for renovation in the old maids’ rooms, which have views of the valley and the church.
The park, ten acres, landscaped and historic, was planned in 1850, with under-ground drainage
The 6 x 12 Desjoyeux swimming pool is easy to maintain. It is supplied with fresh water by the large rainwater cistern of the house located in the cellars.
The chateau is situated in the foothills of the Cévennes, in the old stone village of Robiac. There is a small shop a few minutes away, but the main town is Saint Ambroix, approximately five miles away. The mediaeval town of St Ambroix has primary and secondary schools, three supermarkets, and lots of individual food shops. There is a very large lively weekly market, and the town hold many festivals and antique fairs. There is a weekly “vide greniers” every Saturday in the main square. It is just 20 minutes from the beautifully renovated Renaissance village of Barjac, which also holds markets and a very famous antique fair. In this region swimming is popular in isolated and magical surrounding rivers, and other outdoor activities include canoeing, horse-riding, kayaking, cycling and mountain climbing. There are famous caves including the Caverne Pont d’Arc, with its cave paintings, recently opened to the public. The Ardèche Gorges are very close by and are not to be missed. You can swim in the rivers, go to water parks, visit lovely old walled towns, have a coffee in the sunshine or go wine tasting at one of the many vineyards.
- Properties for sale in Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in France
- Properties for sale in Normandy, France
- Properties for sale in Occitanie (formerly Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon), France
- Properties for sale in Pays de la Loire, France
- Properties for sale in Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine (formerly Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine and Limousin), France
- Properties for sale in Provence-Côte d'Azur, France
- Properties for sale in Morbihan, Brittany, France
- Properties for sale in Auvergne and Rhône-Alpes, France